This entry was posted on Monday, July 20th, 2009 at 11:51 am and is filed under Thimerosal. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
Mercury is the most deceptive of heavy metals in that its toxicity can wreak havoc on the human body even as the metal evades detection. Most toxic metals, including lead, can be easily discovered through blood tests. Mercury is an exception, however, and the effects of untreated mercury poisoning can prove disastrous.
Doctors have difficulty locating mercury in the bloodstream because it quickly migrates to other areas of the body within a week of the initial exposure. The human liver and kidneys are intended to filter out potential toxins, but have a hard time coping with mercury. The metal collects in these organs, as well as the intestines and brain, leaving only traces in the blood, urine and hair.
Within a few months of exposure, most of the mercury is filtered out of the system. Mercury stays in the brain much longer than it does in organs outside the central nervous system – sometimes as long as 20 years. Needless to say, the presence of a heavy metal in close proximity to brain tissue can have devastating effects. Children who received vaccines with the mercury-based preservative Thimerosal often begin to display signs of autism months of even years after their initial exposure. The sooner this variety of autism is discovered, the sooner it can be diagnosed and treated.
4 Responses to “Mercury Poisoning: Detection Is Half the Battle”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.