This entry was posted on Tuesday, October 23rd, 2012 at 11:18 am and is filed under Autism Research, Mercury Related. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
The most common source of mercury poisoning comes from eating fish that have been living in polluted waters. Larger fish that primarily feed on other fish wind up having higher mercury levels because their food sources already have concentrated mercury in their bodies, leading the larger fish to have an even greater build-up of this mercury.
When humans eventually eat the fish – often from the biggest fish like swordfish, tuna, or sharks – the mercury is transferred into the body of the human, which can sometimes be at toxic levels, leading to serious mercury poisoning. This can be a very serious problem, particularly for pregnant women, nursing mothers, and young children.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.